Skip to main content

A Christmas Eve I could’ve done without - Dothan Eagle

A Christmas Eve I could’ve done without - Dothan Eagle


A Christmas Eve I could’ve done without - Dothan Eagle

Posted: 25 Dec 2020 04:00 AM PST

edwards photo

JAY EDWARDS

I was in high school in the mid-seventies. It was the best of times, and on Christmas Eve in 1974, it quickly became worst of times.

That night my friend Kenny Baker picked me up in his lime-green Camaro after I had finished dinner with the family. It was cold, and Baker's car seemed even louder and shakier than usual. We didn't really have a plan but I remembered that a girl we knew in Park Hill asked me to drop in. 

"Let's go to Rita's house," I said.

Rita lived in a large Spanish style home. Her dad was a doctor and there were a bunch of kids, eight or nine I think. Rita was my age while most of her siblings were older. 

We pulled up in front of the house and had to park on the street because the big driveway was full. The house was full of people who warmly welcomed us in. Rita's sister Carolyn handed us some punch and I went over to say hello to their father, who was arguing with his youngest daughter Becca about what album to play next. He wanted "Al Martino's Christmas Favorites," while she lobbied for "Endless Summer" by The Beach Boys. I left them to their debate and headed to the kitchen where I found Rita and her mother. 

After a few minutes Rita took my hand and led me towards the den. I looked back in the living room and saw Becca pouting on the couch as Al Martino sang about the red-nosed reindeer. 

The den was full of people and Rita pulled me towards the crushed velvet white couch. Behind the couch, on a table, sat an impressive and very large tropical fish tank, probably 65 or 70 gallons. Rita told me that the tank belonged to her brother-in-law and that the fish were supposed to be rare and expensive. I remembered the brother-in-law as the one who scowled at Baker and me when we arrived. 

Rita sat down and I turned to do the same, falling backward into the soft velvet. But the couch was perhaps lower or softer than I judged and my head snapped back, like someone had rear-ended me. I felt something firm give way behind my head, accompanied by a sickening, cracking sound.

I looked across the room at Baker, who was giving me a dirty stare because I was on the couch with Rita. Then his face changed to surprise as he saw the water from the fish tank pour onto my shoulders. One of the girls screamed "Oh No!" and Rita leapt from the couch. And the terrible truth rushed over me.

Chaos ensued and two of Rita's brothers moved to the ends of the tank to try and save the couch. I heard things like,

"He broke it with his head! 

"Who is that guy?"

"His head went through the aquarium!"

"Dad, come in the den, you won't believe what happened!"

The aquarium I had destroyed lay on the floor in front of the couch. I wondered why they hadn't taken it outside, but decided not to say anything. 

I stared as the exotic fish flopped on the soaked shag rug. People scrambled to save them and I moved in to help. But when I saw one get squashed by a boot, I went the other way.

Someone grabbed my hand and led me out of the melee. It was Rita. We walked outside and the last thing I heard was Brian Wilson singing, "Don't Worry Baby, everything will turn out alright." At least Becca was happy.

Baker followed, laughing uncontrollably. I hated Baker. 

Later, Rita would tell me that they were able to save the couch but that all of the fish eventually died, including three that had gotten stepped on. She said it was OK though because her dad never really liked the aquarium anyway. As time went by, the story became funny and Rita and I remained friends through college. But I never made it back to her house.

0 comments

GETTING THE BOOT: Winter weather puts spin on footwear at local shops - Tahlequah Daily Press

Posted: 24 Dec 2020 07:00 PM PST

The type of boot on a pair of feet can tell a lot about the person wearing them, especially during winter months - and Tahlequah has plenty of stores for every footwear preference.

Among the local stores peddling boots include two that have been around for more than 50 years each, and another that has quickly expanded the size of its department floor.

Felts Shoes, which is knocking on the door of its 82nd anniversary, has the popular Ugg boots for women, which owner Drew Felts said are some of his best sellers. For men, he carries Under Armour and Wolverine work boots, and for those who enjoy a hike, he's got Merrell boots, which can come in high-tops or low-cuts.

Felt said the low-cut Merrells are significantly cheaper.

"A lot of people buy the low-cut, because they're like, 'I don't hike that much," said Felts. "Overall, business has been good. People have really rallied this year and tried to shop local."

Felts said he will likely have a some type of after-Christmas sale, but he's not sure what it will be yet.

Down the street, Workman's has been serving the area for nearly 53 years. It might look a little different to those who haven't been inside in a while, as the boot section was moved upstairs early this year.

"The [boot] area used to be downstairs, over to the right where the women's stuff is now," said owner Angela Workman Cook.

"Back in April, when we were shut down for COVID, we flipped everything around to make it a little more roomier and easier to shop. So after 52 years, we rearranged it."

Customers will find footwear for men, women, and children at Workman's. The store carries major brands like Carhartt, Tony Lama, Ariat, Thorogood, Red Wing, Danner, Roper, Stetson and Twisted X. Folks can find western boots, steel-toe and non-steel-toe work boots, women's fashion boots and rubber boots.

The most popular shoe this holiday season has been the exotic fish boots, said Cook. Customers can also be on the lookout for deals in the future.

"We've actually had quite a few sales prior to Christmas, and then we'll probably do some sales after Christmas and around the first of the year," she said.

Things also look a little different at Sharpe's Department Store. It recently added 3,000 square feet, allowing it to carry more items and brands.

Manager Trent Jones said business has been "insane" this year, with tons of people visiting to buy footwear.

"We have tons of steel-toe boots," said Jones. "We do more workwear than we do western. We do big business in industrial [jobs] - working guys outside. We have non-steel toe and western boots, too."

The shelves at Sharpe's are filled with Ariat, Justin, Twisted X, Under Armour and Thorogood boots. The Thorogoods are the best-selling items; they are USA made and good for working outside. They carry a driving moccasin that Jones said is good for cowboys who enjoy a western look, but want to keep it casual.

"We can sell to an athletic guy, a western guy, a preppy guy, a country boy," he said. "We can sell to everybody."

On Christmas Eve, Sharpe's was offering a third off of its footwear and apparel. But the savings could get even better after 2021 kicks off.

"We'll start our half-off in the middle of January, and then it will go to 75 percent off at the end of January," said Jones. "We'll release those dates pretty soon."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This fish is worth $300,000 - New York Post

Reviews: Horrified SeaQuest Aquarium Visitors Tell All | PETA - PETA

Eight different exotic fish species recorded in Ganga river: Kataria - Outlook India