Winter brings some clarity | News, Sports, Jobs - Morning Journal News

Winter brings some clarity | News, Sports, Jobs - Morning Journal News


Winter brings some clarity | News, Sports, Jobs - Morning Journal News

Posted: 28 Dec 2020 09:07 PM PST

I now know winter is really here because a good friend called me to comment on the recent snow and how pretty it looked. Then he amended his statement to admit that winter would look even better to him when he was in Florida. My friend is what those of us who stay here and suffer through whatever weather Ohio throws at us would call a snowbird.

But I must admit that there is beauty to a snowfall when it coats the branches of the oaks and hickory in my backyard, especially when old Sol climbs above the tree line beyond the cove and makes the snow sparkle like a jeweler's showcase. Still, I did not break out in my out-of-tune rendition of walking in a winter wonderland. Instead I donned my winter boots and insulated jacket and took a philosophical approach to winter and watching the wildlife outside my office window.

Winter provides a special opportunity to observe wildlife, because all the critters stand out against the snowy white background. Deer, in particular stand out as they move silently across the snow on the other side of our cove. They are a joy to watch now that they are not feasting Barb's Hostas or my tomatoes. It's funny how they can be so beautiful during winter and so pesky when we try to raise a garden.

There was a time in Ohio when even seeing a deer track was rare. Now, with some excellent game management by the Ohio Division of Wildlife, I seldom get excited when someone tells me they saw a deer. Although I do often wonder why if there are deer everywhere I sometimes sit in my hunting blind for hours and see nothing except birds and squirrels. But, I cannot complain as I have eaten my share of venison.

I also enjoy watching the frisky squirrels. Their antics can be more interesting if you take time to really analyze what they are doing. To a human it might look like the bushy tails are playing, but their moves are deadly serious. Just imagine what it must be like to gather your winter supply of food, and either bury it or hide it in a hollow tree. Also imagine that there are big birds hunting for their own dinner at the same time and to survive they need to grab you in their sharp talons. Puts an entirely new perspective on those frisky squirrels doesn't it? I think they scamper around to avoid becoming a target for a predator.

If you think the squirrels are safe in my backyard consider that there are four hawk nests in nearby trees, and I've noted that there are fewer chipmunks since the hawks moved in and started raising their young. As if danger from red-tailed haws is not enough a lake resident has posted a photo of four bald eagles on the ice probably making a snack of winter killed fish. I didn't get a chance to see so many eagles at one time but they often sit high in my trees while probably checking out the menu provided by the local critters. I doubt I'll ever see an eagle catch a chipmunk as they seem more likely to feast on a dead fish. By the way, what do you call a group of eagles? Is it a flock a covey or something more exotic?

With all of this wildlife just outside my window one would think I lived in a wilderness, but that is not the case. We have neighbors close at hand and still I have a lot of interesting wildlife to observe. I think my advantage is the nearby water. Much wildlife is attracted to water, and as I wrote this sentence I saw a heron glide by in search of a minnow for lunch. Whatever the reason I consider myself to be blessed by so much wildlife so close. More than once I have watched a mink slink along the riprap at the water's edge. What more could I ask?

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This fish is worth $300,000 - New York Post

Reviews: Horrified SeaQuest Aquarium Visitors Tell All | PETA - PETA

Eight different exotic fish species recorded in Ganga river: Kataria - Outlook India